Monday, February 14, 2011

V-Day

It's the fourteenth of February, or Valentine's Day. Couples celebrate with roses and chocolates, single people celebrate with.. other single people. A martyr's death has now become a commercial holiday. It's kind of ironic how life works out.

Love? What is love? Hmm.. Baby, don't hurt me. Don't hurt me no more.



Growing up watching Disney classics like Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast (everyone saw it), Robin Hood, Fox and the Hound, Mulan, Hercules, Tarzan, and a bunch more skewed my perception of love. The hero saves the day and ends it with his love.


After the invention of the printing press and the start of globalization, love has become universal. Filled with Hallmark cards, smelly carnations, boxes of chocolate, and teddy bears V-Day has become more materialistic than once was centuries ago. Sure, it doesn't hurt to commemorate love on a universal holiday, but "love" has filled the air. Millions of guys everywhere book reservations
at restaurants they can barely afford and eat "romantic" food. This day has become more predictable than Jersey Shore.


I applaud those who celebrate love in its entirety. The notion that loving and living with someone for the rest of your life is pretty scary. There's so many things that can complicate the situation. The divorce rate seems to be getting better, but how? I grew up thinking that I would eventually find that someone to live with. It's a bit overwhelming thinking about it all at once. Woo-sah.



Right now, I'm not waiting or hoping or searching. I'm caught in a current and the flow feels comforting. I've been going downstream and reached a calmer part of the stream. I look back and see someone in the distance. Someone who oddly reminds me of myself when I was naive. Maybe, I'm still a little naive for thinking so, but it is what is. It seems like hundreds of miles between us, but somehow we're still close to each other. I shout, no one hears. I whisper, I'm heard. Irony and fate exist as the yin and the yang in this trance.



So far in 2011, so good in heaven. I'm thankful for the warmest day of the year up to this point. I wonder if I'm going to remember this year's Valentine's Day. Maybe, probably. I was originally going to rip apart then glue together the misconceived notion of commercialized love. At this point, I don't care because I've got a lot of work to do. Graduation is so close.

No comments:

Post a Comment