Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mixology Certificiation

Like all great shows, they eventually get canceled. I can't believe Community is on the list of shows that might get cut due to stupid people! Arrested Development finished after three seasons, I hope Community doesn't follow the same fate.



I just finished watching an episode 'Mixology Certification' which was pretty funny. Troy's birthday was created, destroyed, and fixed simultaneously within 20 minutes. Amazing. Pierce is the delusional fellow who although being independent eventually succumbs and asks for help. Shirley lives a lifestyle that may seem perfect to others, but secrets of alcohol abuse appear on the walls of the Ballroom. Annie sneaks in and momentarily becomes someone less uptight. Abed as usual becomes consumed by his vast knowledge of everything. The tension between Britta and Jeff comes to a conclusion after drinks and realizing they were talking about the same place. Crazy coincidences.



Epiphany. Everyone gets at least one in their lifetime. Just like puberty, people get them at different times. It doesn't follow any variables, but unexpectedly occurs.



What's that random picture? A triptych painted during the Renaissance. An ode to the Epiphany! T-Pain isn't that bad of an artist either. He has good beats, good flow, and autotune! (Sorry Jay-Z.)



'Mixology' didn't disappoint. Community, usually filled with some allusions, touched up on common experiences that everyone goes through. Troy found himself amazed by the new lifestyle, while Annie was overwhelmed by it. Abed drifted into his own world, while Shirley drifted away from her old world. Jeff and Britta clashed with each other, while Pierce clashed with his inefficient chair. (Don't know about other people, but I think Annie and Britta are hot!)



I'm a fan of allegories and allusions, but wow. That episode was eerily close to what I'm slowly learning. (Future Me, take note if this is really an epiphany.) I realized that most of the people who know me don't actually know me. Sure, I indulge in everything that most people my age do, but I don't think I have anything too much in common with them. The college atmosphere is a very 'in the moment' experience. I'm not saying it's a bad lifestyle. It's pretty fun, but also pretty shallow.



I had a conversation with a friend about art museums. I was surprised that she was surprised that I appreciate things besides beer and movies. Knowing someone for years doesn't guarantee much. It hit me that I actually enjoy culture. Not just food and people, but art and music. Many people stop by art museums and think one visit is good enough to see the whole museum. I've only been to the art museum several times, but I always want to go back and look for things I may have missed the previous time.

The sound of the oboe, clarinet, violin, and piano strike me differently than guitars, bass, drums, and synthesizers do. It doesn't mean I prefer more one instrument more than the other. I enjoy whatever I believe sounds good. I just think that the average person my age tends not to even consider anything before the 20th century as enjoyable. I'm by no means an artsy fartsy kind of guy who only likes art and classical music. But if the opportunity came up, I wouldn't deny the offer.



It doesn't offend me if someone looks at me bizarrely when they find out that I like random things like art. I'm comfortable with myself knowing that I choose to like things independent of others' opinions. It used to be more of a matter of revealing it. Now, I have no problem if anyone finds out because I fully believe that everyone's entitled to their own opinion and tastes. After three and a half years in college, I'm getting closer to understanding my own identity. What an epiphany!

No comments:

Post a Comment